Extending Your Current Program (F and J Students)
Before You Apply
- You changed majors or programs or added a dual degree
- There was a significant change of your thesis/dissertation topic or you had research problems
- You need to make up for time you lost when you were authorized a reduced course load (RCL) for academic or health reasons
- You need to compensate for time missed during a leave of absence
Apply for your extension at least two weeks before your I-20 or DS-2019 expires. Your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) cannot be extended after the program end date.
How to Apply to Extend Your Current Program
Get your Academic Advisor's recommendation
The letter (or printed email) must:
- be from your academic advisor or dean (or someone in a similar academic position who is aware of your situation)
- detail the specific reason(s) for requiring more time
- include your expected completion date
- SEAS M.S. Students
- Your department must send an extension request to the Office of Graduate Student Affairs (OGSA). If approved, the OGSA will email the approval for you to print for the application.
- GSAS Doctoral Students
- Your letter may come from your dissertation advisor or the DGS (Director of Graduate Studies). The letter should include your expected completion date.
Gather your documents
- Letter (or printed email) from your academic advisor or dean
- See step 1 above for requirements
- Financial Certification Form
- Save the form and edit from your computer. Do not edit in a website browser or you will lose all your data. If you have dependents include them in your application.
- Funding Documents as listed on your Financial Certification Form
- This should cover the tuition, fees and living expenses for the additional time. The form lists full academic year expenses. If you are extending for one semester, only calculate half the academic year.
- Most recent I-94 Arrival/Departure Record
- Click here to access your record.
Log in to Compass with your UNI and password to submit your application
Please click the appropriate link below:
We will contact you
Allow up to 10 business days for us to review and process your application.
- F-1: If your request is approved, we will email your new digital Extension I-20 form for you to print with additional instructions.
- J-1: We will notify you by email when your new extended DS-2019 is ready to be shipped. Per Department of State J Regulations, digital DS-2019 forms are not permitted to be emailed.
Review, sign and date your new I-20 / DS-2019
Use it when you travel. The travel signature on page 2 of your I-20 or page 1 of a DS-2019 is valid for 12 months or until your program end date, whichever is earlier. Keep all previously issued I-20s/DS-2019s. You may need them in the future.