J-1 Academic Training (AT)

Academic Training is a benefit of J-1 student status that allows you to work off-campus—either paid or unpaid—for the purpose of applying knowledge and skills learned during your program of study.

Orange Divider


To be eligible, you must:

Orange Divider

Before You Apply

You may apply for AT during and/or after the completion of your degree program. 

You may work only for a certain number of hours (as shown below). Any time that is authorized during your program will be deducted from the time allowed after you finish.

Orange Page Divider

How to Apply

Steps to apply for J-1 Academic Training
Step 1.

Pay the $210 AT Administration Fee (for Post-Completion AT only)

You remain in J-1 status under Columbia’s sponsorship with an active SEVIS record during post-completion AT. Doctoral students will pay a second fee if granted the 18-month extension.

Step 2.

Gather your documents

Step 3.

Login to Compass with your UNI and password to submit your application

Please click the appropriate link below:

Not sure of your campus? Check our campus school list.
Need help using Compass? Learn more on our Compass User Guide.

Step 4.

We will contact you

Allow up to 10 business days for us to review and process your application. We will notify you by email when your new DS-2019 and AT authorization letter is ready to be picked up.

Step 5.

Review, sign and date your new DS-2019

Use it when you travel. The travel signature (endorsement) is valid for 12 months or until your program end date, whichever is earlier. Keep all previously issued I-20s and DS-2019s.  You may need them in the future.

Orange Page Divider

What to Do Once You Have AT

Apply for a Social Security Number (if you don’t have one)

Be prepared to show your employer:

You must:

You continue to be in J-1 status, and therefore must:

Orange Page Divider

Traveling on AT

You'll need certain documents with you if you travel abroad during your period of authorized AT.

Visit our Travel page for more information.