Extending Your Status (Scholars)

Your academic department will submit an application for an extension of your status directly to us. Check below for the maximum amount of time allowed for your visa category before working with your department on gathering the documentation required for an extension.


If eligible for an extension, you may be required to submit funding to your department. (Funding is $2,800 per month for you (*increase to $3,000 on 1/1/23), $1,000 per month for your spouse, $500 per month for each child.)

Within 5 business days of a complete application, we will send you an email on how to receive your extension.

* Exceptions for extending an H-1B beyond the 6-year limit:

  • Extending for time spent outside the U.S. If any part of the six years was spent abroad, it may be possible to extend to recapture that time. Passport stamps, e-tickets, and other evidence of time spent elsewhere will be required.

  • Pending or Approved Labor Certification or I-140 Immigrant Petition. An extension may be possible under limited circumstances. Please consult your ISSO adviser about this option.