Leaving Columbia (Scholars)

If you are nearing the end of your time at Columbia, we hope it has been productive and that you have enjoyed being at the university and in New York City!

Transfer from Columbia
Orange Divider

Leaving early

All researchers and professors leaving Columbia earlier than the time originally authorized must inform their departments and us. We must update your immigration record and documents. This is required both for university compliance with immigration record-keeping and to keep you informed of consequences to your immigration status.

Orange Page Divider

Leaving in a timely manner

If you are leaving the U.S., there are deadlines and other considerations.

You have a 30-day grace period following the completion of your program to remain in the U.S. to prepare for departure.

Your program end date on your DS-2019 reflects the completion of your program. If you are leaving earlier than the current end date on it, we must change the date in your SEVIS record and issue an updated DS-2019.

Be aware of the 12 and 24-month bars that prevent repeat participation as a J-1 scholar. This does not apply to short-term scholars.

J-1 Student Intern Evaluation Form

Does section 4 of your DS-2019 indicate that you are a student intern? If yes, there is a very important requirement you must complete before you leave. Please complete the Student Intern Evaluation Form with your faculty/research sponsor. Go here for more information on how to complete and submit the form..

Your legal status is connected to your continued employment and not only the expiration date of your I-94 arrival record that has a specific date on which your authorized stay expires. These employee statuses do not have an additional grace period.

Orange Page Divider

Change of address for tax-related documents

Make sure you can get your W-2 or 1042-S form during tax season after you leave.

  • W-2: You can get the W-2 electronically.
  • 1042-S: Reports stipends and tax-exempt income (based on a tax treaty between the U.S. and your country). Contact the submit the relevant HR office by submitting this ServiceNow Form or by calling them at 212-851-2888 to find out how to access an electronic version.
  • J-1 scholars can use Sprintax for a free federal nonresident tax return after they leave. See "special situations"at the bottom of ISSO Sprintax page.