Documents Needed to Travel (Students)

Traveling soon? Learn which documents you need to bring with you.

Illustration of documents needed for travel
Orange Divider

Documents Needed to Travel Outside the U.S.

Before You Travel Abroad

The GlobalTravel website centralizes information and tools for all members of the Columbia community whose study, research, or teaching involves international travel.

CUIT (Technology Information) has compiled important considerations for the Columbia University community for protecting data security when you travel.

If you are entering the U.S. for the first time as a Columbia student, follow the instructions on our Entering the U.S. page (for students) instead.

If you're traveling to a country other than your home -- including a cruise that crosses international borders -- check the website of your destination's embassy to see what their visa requirements are for visitors.

Going to Canada, Mexico, or an "Adjacent Island"? Visit our webpage for special provisions for returning to the U.S.with an expired U.S. visa.

Visit Step 2 of our Entering the U.S. page (for students) as a reminder of what to expect.

Are you ready to gather your documents?

Note: If you're on Post-Completion OPT, including STEM OPT and Cap-Gap Extensions, go to Travel During F-1 OPT.



Additional required documents if traveling without principal:

Additional required documents if traveling without principal:

Short Video on Travel

Watch our short travel overview video:

ISSO Immigration Essentials for F-1 and J-1 Students, Part 2: Travel
orange divider

Documents Needed to Travel Within the U.S.

Domestic travel includes travel to any of the 50 states or travel to the U.S. territories (Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands).

Carry your documents with you in case you need to show evidence of your legal immigration status.

Orange Divider

If you don't have your I-20/DS-2019 or your travel signature expired:

Your new form will have an updated travel signature on. Follow the instructions on our Travel Signatures webpage.

Refer to Prepare for Additional Screening on our Travel Signatures webpage.