Requesting a Reduced Course Load (RCL)
Before You Apply
You are allowed to be less than full-time in the final term of your degree program without permission or further action. You do not have to be registered full-time if you do not need a full-time course load to complete your degree requirements. It is permitted by your status, and you do not need permission for an RCL.
Exception: if your academic program has a minimum registration requirement of all its students, you need to follow the academic requirements of your program.
You need to request and be granted permission from us for an RCL for all other exceptions prior to dropping below full-time enrollment.
In order to request an RCL, you must be experiencing one of following criteria:
1) Academic difficulties during your first academic year in a degree program. This exception may be used one time only in your first year. You must be experiencing one of the following:
- initial difficulty with the English language
- initial difficulty with reading requirements
- unfamiliarity with U.S. teaching methods
- improper course level placement. This means not having the prerequisites or preparation for a course and is not limited to the first year.
2) Temporary illness or medical/mental health difficulties, an RCL is limited to a total of 12 months for the duration of the degree program.
How to Request an RCL
Gather your documents
Login to Compass with your UNI and password to submit your application
Please click the appropriate link below:
We will contact you
Allow up to 5 business days for us to review your application. We will notify you by email when your request has been processed.
Contact your school (after approval)
Once you are approved, check with your school to determine how you may drop your course(s) if it is past the add/drop period.