On-Campus Work (F and J Students)

On-campus employment is work done for and paid by Columbia University. This also includes work for a commercial firm on the campus if it provides direct services to all Columbia students.

On-Campus Work Overview Graphic
Orange Page Divider
Alert Icon

Application Alert

Beginning 9AM Friday, March 10 through 11 AM Monday, March 13, you will not to be able to submit or upload any ISSO applications (including this one) as we conduct our Compass database migration. Do not worry, you will be able to submit applications again starting 12:00 PM Monday, March 13. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Orange Page Divider

F-1 and J-1 On-Campus Work Overview

Your hours may vary

You are allowed to be paid for work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year when classes are in session, and unlimited hours during any recess periods, such as winter break or summer vacation.

There are lots of places to look

There is no one central place where all on-campus jobs are listed. Some places to look are:

You are not eligible for jobs classified as “Work-Study”

This is because they are subsidized by Federal Financial Aid for domestic students.

Orange Page Divider

What to Do After You Find an On-Campus Job

On-Campus Work Timeline
Step 1.

Apply for a Social Security Number (if you don't have one)

Read more information about it here.

After you receive the card

Take the card to your hiring department or office for them to resubmit paperwork with the number to Human Resources.

We advise you not to carry the Social Security Card with you, but to memorize the number or make a note of it elsewhere and put the card in a safe place with your other important documents. We all need to be careful to avoid identity theft.

Step 2.

Complete the I-9 Employment Verification Authorization Form

Everyone employed in the U.S. must complete the I-9 Employment Verification Authorization Form within the first 3 days of employment. Read this webpage from Human Resources to learn more.

Most students on the main campus go to 205 Kent Hall to complete an I-9 but there are other
I-9 Centers at both campuses.

Bring your:

Step 3.

J-1 Students only: Submit the employment authorization request form

Submit this employment authorization request form and we will update your SEVIS record with the information.

When you submit the form, your browser will display an acknowledgement of your submission. We will contact you if there are any concerns.

If you have an outside sponsor such as Fulbright, you need to contact that sponsor for permission to work.

Orange Divider

Other paperwork you may need for employment