Payment from Columbia

If you are receiving money from Columbia as payment for work or as a “non-work” scholarship, fellowship, or travel grant, there are some forms that you will need to complete related to taxation and obtaining a taxpayer ID (Social Security Number - SSN or Individual Taxpayer ID - ITIN).

Taxes Graphic
Steps to Wages and Stipends from Columbia
Step 1.

Complete the Foreign National Information Form (FNIF) when contacted by Columbia’s Human Resources Department. 

They need it to determine your tax-filing status, tax withholding on payments, and whether you are eligible for any tax treaty benefits.

Step 2.

Apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer ID (ITIN) as soon as possible. 

You may apply for the SSN if:

If you are not eligible for an SSN, apply for an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer ID). We will be able to assist F and J students and scholars with the W-7 application for an ITIN by verifying your documents. See IRS W-7 instructions.

Step 3.

If you are employed at Columbia, complete a few additional forms. 

Your hiring department will assist you in completing the forms related to the tax to be withheld from your payment: