What To Do Your First Week in the U.S.
Attend the Orientation Program hosted by your School / Academic Department
We will conduct an information session about your F‐1 / J‐1 status in the United States as part of your program.
Can't attend an in-person orientation? Watch our online orientation webinar!
- How to maintain your legal status
- Rules for traveling and re‐entering the U.S. during your academic program
- Eligibility for on and off‐campus employment during the academic year, summers, and after graduation
Open a U.S. Bank Account
You do not need a Social Security Number or a letter from the ISSO or any other university office.
You will need:
- I‐20 or DS‐2019
- letter of admission to Columbia
- local address
- Columbia ID (if available).
Be sure the bank officer is aware that you are a non-resident. You will be asked to complete a form called W8-BEN for nonresidents so your savings or checking account interest will not be taxed. View bank locations in the Columbia neighborhoods.
In addition, Santander has a branch on campus in Alfred Lerner Hall open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.