Scholars / Employees FAQs

Last reviewed and updated November 2022.

Please find below answers to immigration-related questions. We update this information as needed.

Scholar / Employee FAQs

If you will be joining the Morningside/Manhattanville campus, contact your ISSO Faculty and Scholar Adviser. If you will be joining the CUIMC Medical Center, email [email protected]. Be sure your academic department administration is also aware of your delayed arrival.

In order to get an ID Card, first consult your Department Administrator for guidance and refer to the ID Center webpage for information.

The best source of comprehensive and up-to-date information is the university's COVID-19 Resource Guide for the Columbia Community. CUIMC scholars may also refer to their Coronavirus Resource Center.

The Covid-19 vaccination and testing is mandatory for all faculty and staff.  Please see the Columbia COVID-19 Resource Guide for the required protocols.

Please refer to our webpage on the Social Security Number Application procedure. 

Please contact your academic department administration or Human Resources (HR). Special approvals are needed for remote work from abroad. Please also contact your ISSO adviser to let them know you are unable to travel.

Telecommuting must first be approved by the hiring department.

If you are in J-1 or H-1B status, this is permitted within certain parameters. Please contact your ISSO adviser so we can advise both you and your department.

When you are outside the U.S. you are no longer in a U.S. immigration status.  As there are factors that are not immigration-related when working from abroad, you must contact your academic department administration or Human Resources (HR) to discuss whether it is an option for you to perform your work duties outside of the U.S.

The ISSO website provides a list of companies for internationals visiting Columbia University, who are not covered under Columbia University plans.  Please read the policies carefully as you research your insurance coverage options.

The Library Status Updates webpage will have the most current information on openings, work space, and remote access. Please contact the relevant library directly if you have questions regarding appointments.

Contact your academic department administration or Human Resources (HR) immediately. Requests for an extension must reach ISSO through the hiring/sponsoring department several months in advance of the current expiration date.

An ISSO adviser is available to discuss the process together with you and your hiring department, if preferred.

Be sure to monitor the travel conditions of your destination country. Contact your academic department Human Resources via email and copy the ISSO adviser at the Morningside/Manhattanville or CUIMC campuses.  The ISSO will then take the necessary steps to shorten/end your visa status. If you are in J-1 status and expect to return to the United States on a J-1 visa in the coming months, you may not be able to do so due to the 12- and 24-month bars. Please be sure to review the ISSO website regarding these bars.

Orange Divider