Current Students FAQs

Updated November 3, 2021

We review this information regularly and update as needed. 

Orange Page Divider

On this page

Orange Page Divider

Student FAQs

Coming to Campus

Refer to Columbia University's COVID-19 Resource Guide, information on the Vaccine Page and the Vaccine FAQs that are updated frequently as new information becomes available.  Stay informed by regularly checking University Communications in the University's COVID-19 Resource Guide.

Effective November 8, 2021 all nonimmigrant adult travelers to the U.S. are required to show proof of full vaccination and a negative result to a COVID-19 test taken within no more than 3 days before departure. Limited exceptions apply. COVID-19 country-specific travel restrictions have been removed and and National Interest Exceptions are no longer required. For more detailed information, open this link.

Immigration status (Updated November 3, 2021)

Columbia University is resuming in-person instruction and activities. The University expects all students to take in-person courses in Fall 2021.

Refer to the University’s Fall 2021 Instruction Guidelines for additional information, and review registration requirements for maintaining F/J status.

F-1 I-20: Current SEVP guidance permits the ISSO to email a digital I-20 in PDF Format to F-1 students and their F-2 dependents. This I-20 is valid and acceptable for travel and visa appointments, SSN applications, CPT authorizations, OPT applications, program extensions and F-2 dependent requests. If you receive a digital I-20, be sure to print and sign it. 

J-1 DS-2019: The Department of State administers J-1 regulations, and has not provided guidance that permits digital DS-2019 forms. ISSO will continue to ship original DS-2019 forms, signed in ink, to J-1 students and their dependents. 

It depends. Continuing students outside the US with an active SEVIS status may continue to maintain status with full-time registration (or approved post-completion OPT). Doctoral students who have finished coursework may be registered with a full-time residence unit while conducting research or working on their dissertation. For other students, the options for a fulltime courseload while studying remotely may be limited. You will need to contact your academic department to see what your options are if you cannot arrive on campus.

F-1 regulations refer to a gap semester or year as a Leave of Absence (LOA). If you are considering an LOA, contact the ISSO for case-specific advice, as this decision can have a significant impact on your F-1 student status and your eligibility for OPT when you return, if that was something you wished to pursue. SEVP has not provided special instructions or accommodations for an LOA taken during this COVID emergency period. 

To initiate a leave of absence, you must begin with your school/department. Please review our website for information on Leaves of Absence and returning from a leave

Travel and Visas

You may need a new I-20 with an updated travel signature if your current signature has expired or will be expired on the date you plan to travel back to the U.S. Check to see if you require a new signature and how to request a new I-20/DS-2019 reprint with updated signature here.

Travel documents: To return to the U.S., you will need valid travel documents, including an I-20 or DS-2019** with a program end date that is after the date you return to the U.S. and a travel signature that has not expired on the date you plan to return. 

Travel and visa restrictions: In addition you will need to check the travel and visa restrictions that may be in place at the time you are planning to travel. Check these travel resources for current information. It is impossible to predict if and when other restrictions will be put in place or lifted by the U.S. Department of State.

Visa: You don't need a new visa if your current visa will be unexpired on the date you plan to return to the U.S. If the visa in your passport has expired* or will be expired when you plan to return to the U.S., you will need to obtain a new visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate before you can re-enter the U.S. (Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter the U.S.). Continue to review the website of the consulate or embassy at which you intend to apply for your US visa to stay informed of any further updates in their services.

  * If you will be traveling to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands, please read here to see if you can benefit from automatic revalidation.

  **Students who have a J-1 Exchange Visitor program sponsor other than Columbia University which issued your DS-2019 should check with their sponsor for guidance.

Please refer to our Travel Resources and NAFSA for a helpful summary of the COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements Effective November 8, 2021.

We also recommend that you review the COVID-19 Resource Guide for the Columbia Community for the university’s guidance pertaining to travel.

CPT (Curricular Practical Training)

Beginning Fall 2021 and onward, students are expected to be on-campus to resume their studies in-person. Students may engage in remote CPT as long as they are physically residing in the NYC tri-state area in order to attend their classes. The U.S.- based employer will need to have means to assess student engagement and attainment of learning objectives via a remote/online option.

See the ISSO CPT webpage for additional information.

OPT Employment (General)

Unfortunately, F-1 regulations still require you to be physically in the U.S. at the time you submit your OPT or STEM OPT Extension application to USCIS.

Post-completion OPT - If you are abroad make sure you return to the U.S in F-1 status before the end of your final semester. Refer to the OPT Application process on our website

STEM OPT Extension - You must return and apply before the expiration of your current OPT. Refer to the STEM OPT Extension application information here

Yes, it is possible to apply online by creating a USCIS Online Account. USCIS maintains the requirement that you are in the U.S. when you  submit the application. 

Full application instructions are on our OPT webpages.

Pre-Completion OPT

Post-Completion OPT

STEM OPT Extension

You are allowed to leave the U.S. when an OPT application is pending at USCIS, but there has always been an element of uncertainty. The basic risk factor is that USCIS may contact you requesting additional information. You will need to be able to respond in a timely manner. That has always been true and in these extraordinary times it remains to be true.

In the best case scenario, if your application is processed smoothly, your EAD is delivered to a valid U.S. address, where someone is checking your mail. If they take an image of your EAD and email it to you for you to print, you may be able to enter the U.S. with your travel documents (I-20, EAD print out and valid visa).

If you are outside of the U.S. with an approved OPT application but without the EAD in hand, it may be a problem reentering the U.S.

If your application is denied while you are abroad, please contact the ISSO for guidance.

An additional risk factor in the time of COVID-19 is that international travel and visa restrictions are unpredictable.

US government guidance indicates that for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, students who are working on OPT fewer than 20 hours per week are still engaging in OPT and are NOT accumulating any days of unemployment. They have not specified a minimum number of hours that must be worked.

Yes, you may work remotely for a U.S. employer while on OPT and you do not need to do a second report that the employment has become remote. If you are currently engaged in the STEM OPT Extension, you don’t have to submit a new I-983 if working remotely. 

Yes! Refer to our news item for further information and instructions. These flexibilities apply only to applications received on or after October 1, 2020, through October 31, 2021, inclusive.

You do not need to contact the ISSO if you filed within the approved dates and your application was rejected (returned back to you). You can follow the USCIS instructions to refile and do not need an updated I-20.

If your application was received on or after October 1, 2020 through October 31, 2021, inclusive, and you lost some allowable OPT time on your EAD because of a long USCIS processing delay, you may request a correction due to USCIS error. USCIS will issue a corrected EAD with a new end date, as requested, to cover the full amount of OPT time recommended in the original application. Go to this USCIS page on EADs and refer to the information in the tab "Replace an EAD" and follow the instructions for "If your EAD contains incorrect information because of a USCIS error..."

Before you return your incorrectly shortened EAD to USCIS, be sure you have met your employer’s requirements for the onboarding/hiring process which may require viewing your actual card, not a copy.  Make a copy of all documents submitted to USCIS for your own records.

Orange Divider

Related Resources